The Birthing Center in Port St. Lucie
When you choose The Birthing Center at St. Lucie Medical Center, your care and your baby's birth will be guided by a knowledgeable and caring medical professionals. We help you navigate through the delicate process of labor and delivery and put your mind at ease with a highly skilled clinical staff that will remain with you throughout your childbirth experience.
To schedule a tour of The Birthing Center, please call us at (772) 335-4000, ext. 3540.
We pride ourselves on being able to offer continuity and coordination of care from the initial office visit to delivery. Our team understands the need for expectant mothers to have an experienced medical team assisting before, during and after childbirth. Our labor and delivery team provides care for all of your needs to help you have a safe birthing experience.
Our high ratings in patient safety along with our consistently positive patient satisfaction scores, reinforce our commitment to always do what’s best for our patients, families and community. We are focused on providing patient-centered and individualized, high quality care to women and their children starting with prenatal care and lasting throughout the postpartum period.
There is no greater joy than the very moment when your newborn is put into your arms. At The Birthing Center at St. Lucie Medical Center, we have helped families welcome their newborn babies for more than 20 years.
The Birthing Center at St. Lucie Medical Center offers a state-of-the-art Obstetrics Unit. This unit provides the warmth and special care you desire with the birth of your baby and is specifically designed with the needs of expectant mothers and their children in mind.
We offer extensive services for all types of childbirth experiences, including natural childbirth, epidurals and scheduled cesarean sections. Patients choose our labor and delivery services for:
- Wireless monitoring system to monitor both mom and baby, allowing for mom to walk around during labor
- Private birthing and mother-baby suites equipped with the latest technology and equipment
- State-of-the-art surgical suite located within our obstetrics unit for planned and unplanned C-sections
- Suites furnished with TV/DVD player, refrigerator and internet access
- Educational classes and programs available through our childbirth educator
- Anesthesia services available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Breastfeeding assistance available through a lactation consultant
- Breastfeeding pumps and supplies available
- Experienced labor and postpartum registered nurses on staff
- Flexibility with labor choices, including midwifery support
- Open visitation after birth
- Personalized attention and compassionate care, including a special meal, music therapy and aromatherapy
- State-of-the-art infant security system and locked obstetrics unit
Labor and delivery room amenities
Our private birthing suites and mother-baby suites offer the following services:
- Large TVs
- Sound system in the labor rooms
- Specialty food menus for the duration of your stay
- Take home pizza meal for the first night at home
- Accommodations for a loved one to stay in your room
Planned and unplanned C-sections
If you have a scheduled C-section, or if a C-section becomes necessary as labor progresses, you can feel comforted knowing St. Lucie Medical Center has a surgical suite conveniently located in our Obstetrics Unit. This means we can quickly tailor your care to both your needs and your child's needs during delivery.
We perform "gentle C-sections," meaning we use a clear drape so moms can feel like they are a part of the delivery experience, even when it needs to be a C-section. We also allow new mothers to practice skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth in the operating room.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
In the case of a high-risk pregnancy or if your newborn requires a higher level of care, St. Lucie Medical Center has a strong partnership with HCA Healthcare-affiliated hospital Lawnwood Regional Medical Center and access to its Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Lawnwood Regional Medical Center's specialized medical team offers compassionate, full-service care for newborns.
Lawnwood Medical Center is only a short drive up the coast, and patients can expect the same high level of care they receive at St. Lucie Medical Center.
Multidisciplinary labor and delivery team
Our highly skilled staff is here to guide you through labor and delivery. Our staff includes:
- Labor nurses certified in fetal monitoring by the Association of Women's Health Obstetrics and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)
- Board-certified obstetricians and neonatologists
- Certified neonatal nurses
- Anesthesiologists skilled in labor and delivery
- Childbirth educator
- Lactation consultant
What to do when you go into labor
When you think you are in labor or your water breaks, call your obstetrician immediately. He or she will notify our team at St. Lucie Medical center, and we will begin to prepare for your arrival.
When you arrive at the hospital, enter through the ER entrance, where registration is located.
Visiting after birth
After you deliver your child, family and friends are welcome to come visit. We support open visitation hours, however, we ask that you remember that proper rest for mom and baby are vital. For this reason, at certain times we may choose to limit the number of visitors.
We recommend that healthy siblings, with no signs of cough, fever or other illness, are the only children visiting in the hospital. Additionally, any adults or other visitors with colds or illnesses should refrain from visiting during your hospital stay.
Dedicated obstetrics ER coming soon
St. Lucie Medical Center will soon offer the St. Lucie and Martin County communities a designated obstetrics (OB) ER for patients requiring emergency obstetric and pre-term care at any time. The OB ER is staffed by an obstetrician and will be supported by anesthesiology and neonatology providers on the premises. The team is immediately available to address the patient’s clinical needs.